Office Hours (Updated)
Monday through Thursday: 8:30-5:00
Office will be closed from noon to 1:00 PM for lunch daily
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays
Phone calls to our office outside these times are routed to our answering service.
Appointments & Scheduling
All scheduling is handled through the reception desk. Cindy will be able to handle all test scheduling. Dee will be able to answer any questions you have and also handles surgical scheduling.
Except in cases of emergencies we do not see patients without a scheduled appointment. If you have an emergency, please call our office to speak with someone or go to the nearest emergency room.
Please be prompt for your scheduled appointment. If you are coming for an initial visit, please arrive 15-20 minutes early to fill out necessary paperwork. For your convenience, some forms can be printed from this site and filled out in advance. Shaws Cove Orthopaedics reserves the right to reschedule any patient who is more than 20 minutes late for a scheduled appointment.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Your insurance card and other health coverage information
- Some insurance carriers require a referral from your primary care physician before you can be seen by a specialist; if in doubt, please check with your primary care physician.
- Bring your actual X-Rays, MRI’s and other relevant test results.
- Records from prior treatment if you have been managed by others for the same condition.
Fees and Payments
Participating Insurance Carriers:
We make every effort to keep down the costs of your medical care. Your insurance policy is a contract between you and your insurance company. It is your responsibility to keep the billing department up to date on the status of your claim as well as your current address and phone number. Without this the billing department cannot guarantee the payment of your claim.
Shaws Cove Orthopaedics accepts most major forms of insurance. For a complete list of accepted insurance carriers, please call 860.444.9022.
If your insurance plan includes a copay, this is due at the time of your service. This is an agreement you have made with your insurance carrier. We are obligated by law to collect this copay. Please check with your insurance carrier in advance if you are unsure of the copayment for a specialist. We gladly accept cash or check as well as credit cards (ONLY Visa and Mastercard accepted).
For a work related injury you must show up to your appointment with an authorization letter from your employer or worker’s compensation carrier. Please include the following:
- Claim number
- Contact person and their phone number
- Billing Address
*You will not be able to be seen without this information!
Additional Fee to Bill for Co-pay:
Shaw’s Cove Ortho employs an outside billing service and will no longer be absorbing the associated costs to bill for co-pay. An administrative charge of $10.00 is assessed per visit when you choose not to pay your co-payment at your appointment.
Cancellation within 24 hrs of Appointment or No-show for Confirmed Appointment:
All physician services are provided by appointment only. Missed appointments and those rescheduled with less than 24 hours notice may incur a charge of $75.00 for office visit and $500 for a Rating Evaluation.
Copy of Medical Records:
All records of treatment are the legal property of Shaw’s Cove Orthopaedics, LLC. A signed authorization must accompany any request by a patient for a copy of their medical record. The following charges are assessed to cover administrative costs associated with copying: Less than 25 pages = $10.00, More than 25 pages = $20.00.
Requests for forms to be filled out have increased. Due to the amount of time required to review the medical record and complete the information, this service is no longer performed as a courtesy. The fee is based on the complexity of the form, with a minimum fee of $35.00 and a maximum fee of $50.00.
Personal Medical Statements/Letters:
The office has been inundated with requests for letters ranging from the dismissal of jury duty to the canceling and reimbursement of a gym membership. As these letters/statements are initiated by and are for the personal benefit of the patient, a fee of $25.00 is assessed to review the medical validity and articulate a letter.
Summary of Notice of Privacy Practices
Complaints and Privacy Official, Dee Kneeland, O.M.
The following is a brief summary of your rights and our responsibilities as detailed in the Notice of Privacy Practices (the “Notice”). This summary is for your convenience and is not a substitute for reading the entire Notice and does not modify the terms of the Notice.
1. Uses and disclosures of Your Health Information. We may use the information we develop and collect for treatment by our practice or disclose the information to others to whom we refer you for treatment, for payment of these services and for certain health care “operations” such as improving the competence and quality of our staff and business planning and management. We may disclose your information to our business associates such as medical transcriptionists, billing services and others who assist us in the operations of our practice. We may call you to remind you of appointments and may leave a message on your answering machine if you have one. We may also disclose information to your family about your location, general condition or death. If you are available and able, we will ask your consent first. We may also use your information to recommend products or services related to your care but will not use or disclose your medical information for marketing purposes without your written authorization. Your medical information may be disclosed without your authorization as required by law, for public health purposes, healthcare oversight, including audits and investigations, judicial and administrative proceedings, subject to the limits by state and federal law, and certain other purposes.
2. Other Uses and Disclosures. Except as described in the Notice, we will not use or disclose your medical information without your written authorization. You can revoke an authorization at any time, except to the extent that we have already taken action in reliance on the authorization.
3. Your Health Information Rights. You have a number of rights under the state and/or federal law which are subject to the terms and conditions specified in the Notice:
- a) You may request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your information
- b) You may request that you receive your information from us in a certain way
- c) You may inspect and copy your medical records
- d) You may request an amendment to any record you believe is inaccurate
- e) You may request an accounting of disclosures made to your records
4. Changes to the Notice. We reserve the right to change the Notice. If we do so, we will post it in our office, and provide a copy upon request.
5. Complaints. You may file a complaint to our Complaints Official whose name is above or with the
federal government as detailed in the Notice. You will not be penalized for filing any complaint.